On the right side (for PC-sized screens) or at the bottom (for phone or tablet screens), we are displaying “Upcoming Events (General)”. This is a feed from a Google calendar, and is used for keeping Companions notified of low frequency general events like conferences, chapter meetings, etc.
The calendar that is getting fed into the website is “owned” by the Google RivendellCompanion@gmail.com account. This is a “shared” account that any Rivendell Companion can use. If you want to know the password (and are a Rivendell Companion or novice), please contact Murray. This blog post details how to add an event to this calendar, so that the event appears on our website.
To access the calendar, open http://www.google.com in a web browser. At the upper right of the Google page, there will either be a picture or initials related to the currently signed-in Google user, or a “Sign In” button. If there is not a “Sign In” button, then click on the picture or initials, and select “Sign out” from the dialog box. Once you are signed out, you will see a “Sign in” button at the left.
Press the “Sign in” button. Google will list the accounts it thinks you are associated with. If firstname.lastname@example.org is listed, then click on it. If email@example.com is not listed, then click on “Use another account” and then specify the firstname.lastname@example.org account. In either case, Google will need you to supply the password. If you don’t know the password, contact Murray to get it. Once you have logged in, you will see a circle with an “R” in it at the right, indicating the “RivendellCompanion” is logged in.
Click on the grid icon at the upper right of the Google screen. Google will display a dialog with a list of various Google apps. Click on the Calendar app.
Google will open a calendar window.
- At the upper left, scroll through the months to find the year and month of your event. Click on the day of your event.
- Google will display and hour-by-hour event calendar to the right. Click in the hour when your event starts. Google will open a pop-up window defining your event.
- In the pop-up window, give your event a name.
- Make sure to select the “Rivendell General” calendar. This is the calendar that feeds into our website. If you select a different calendar, the event will not appear on the website.
- Click on the “Edit event” button. Google will open an Event Edit window.
- Modify the start and end times and time zone to match your event
- Give your event a location
- More details about the event can be put into the event description
- To show up on our website, the event must either be the Calendar default (= public) or “Public”.
- Press the “Save” button to store the updated event. Google will go back to the Calendar window, with the new event displayed.
At this point you can log out of email@example.com in Google. The event may take a few hours to show up on the website.